Education | Research
| Publication | Teaching |
Honor | Grant | Service
Wingyan Chung, Ph.D.
Department of Decision and Information Sciences
School of Business Administration
421 N. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, Florida 32723, USA
Email: wchung (at) stetson (dot) edu
Phone: +1-386-822-7002; Fax: +1-386-822-7407
Profile Links: Google Scholar | LinkedIn | Bing | DBLP | ACM
Download my CV
- Short Biography
Dr. Wingyan Chung is an Associate Professor in the School of Business Administration at Stetson University. Dr. Chung received his Ph.D. in Management Information Systems from The University of Arizona (advisor: Dr. Hsinchun Chen) and an MS and BBA from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. His scholarly interests and expertise include business intelligence, data and text mining, Web analytics, cybersecurity, knowledge management, information visualization, and human-computer interaction. His research addresses challenges in managing big data in businesses by designing, developing, and evaluating new IT solutions. Examples of his research projects include discovering social media intelligence using machine learning techniques, automatic business stakeholder classification, and visualizing networks of companies. He has over 70 refereed publications in Journal of Management Information Systems, Communications of the ACM, IEEE Computer, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Decision Support Systems, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, HICSS, ICIS, and ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, among others. Google Scholar lists over 2,000 citations to his published works. ACM Digital Library reports over 6,700 downloads of his publications (average 840+ downloads per article). According to MIS Quarterly (full text), Dr. Chung is ranked among the Top 20 academic authors globally in Business Intelligence and Analytics. His paper titled "Web searching in a multilingual world" was chosen to be the cover story in Communications of the ACM, a top-ranked IS journal and the most-frequently-cited journal in computing theory, software, and hardware. Dr. Chung received multiple honors and awards, such as NSF research grants, Outstanding Researcher Award from Stetson School of Business Administration, Outstanding Performance Award and Best Research Paper Award from UTEP, and the Young Investigators Initiative Award from DARPA. A Co-PI for the NSF-funded project titled "Living in the KnowlEdge Society (LIKES)" and "Computing in Context," Dr. Chung hosted several workshops on developing new pedagogies and modules for computing and analytics education. A certified teacher since 1998, Dr. Chung has more than ten years' teaching and curriculum development experiences in the U.S. and Hong Kong. Students provided many positive comments on his teaching.
- Doctor of Philosophy
in Management (Areas: Info. Systems & Operations; Minor: Computer Science), The
University of Arizona (UA program is ranked among Top 5 in US by
the US News & World Report).
- Master of Science
in Information and Technology Management, The Chinese University of
Certificate in Education (Major: Business and Accounts), The
University of Hong Kong.
- Bachelor of
Business Administration (Hon), The Chinese University of Hong
My research addresses the information overload and knowledge management problems in businesses by designing, developing, and evaluating new IT solutions. Examples of my research projects include:
- Discovering social media intelligence using machine learning techniques
- Profiling company risks using data and text mining
- Automatic business stakeholder classification
- Security informatics: cybercrime and terrorism analysis on the Web
- Visualizing networks of a large number of companies
- Supporting non-English Web searching, browsing, and analysis for multinational organizations
- Exploring business intelligence using information visualization
Selected Publications (Total: 70+ pubs.)
- Benjamin, V. ,Chung, W., Abbasi, A., Chuang, J., Larson, C., and Chen, H. "Evaluating text visualization for authorship analysis," Security Informatics (3:10), 2014.
- Chung, W., Daniel Zeng, and Nathan O'Hanlon "Identifying Influential Users in Social Media: A Study of U.S. Immigration Reform," Americas Conference on Information Systems, Savannah, GA, 2014.
- Chung, W. "BizPro: Extracting and categorizing business intelligence factors from textual news articles," International Journal of Information Management, 34(2), 2014, pp. 272-284.
- Chung, W. and Lewis Hershey "Enhancing Information Privacy and Data Sharing in a Healthcare IT Firm: The Case of Ricerro Communications," Journal of Information Privacy and Security, 8(4), 2013 (accepted in 2012), pp. 56-78.
- Chung, W. and Tseng, B. "Discovering Business Intelligence from Online Product Reviews: A Rule-Induction Framework," Expert Systems with Applications, 39(15), 2012, pp. 11870-11879 (acceptance rate: 11-20%; Impact factor: 2.203).
- Chung, W. and Chen, L. "E-commerce of group buying in China: Website review and recommendations," IEEE IT Professional, Jul-Aug 2012, pp. 24-30.
- Chung, W. "Managing Web Repositories in Emerging Economies: Case Studies of Browsing Web Directories," International Journal of Information Management, 32(3), 2012, pp. 232-238.
- Chung, W. and Tseng, B. "Extracting business intelligence from online product reviews: An Experiment of Automatic Rule-Induction Techniques," Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems, Saint Louis, MO, 2010.
- Chung, W. "Web
Searching and Browsing: A Multilingual Perspective," Advances in Computers, Vol. 78, 2010, pp. 41-69 (AIC is the oldest continuously-published anthology that chronicles the ever-changing information technology field).
- Chung, W., Chen, H., Reid, E. "Business stakeholder analyzer: An experiment of classifying stakeholders on the Web," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 60(1), 2009, pp. 59-74.
- Chung, W. and Chen, H. "Web-based business intelligence systems: A review and case studies," Handbooks in Information Systems Series: Business Computing, Vol. 3, Adomavicious & Gupta, Eds., Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2009, pp. 373-400.
- Chung, W. "Web Searching in a Multilingual World," Communications of the ACM (cover story, editorial), 51 (5), 2008, pp. 32-40 (CACM is the #1 most frequently cited journal in software engineering, according to ISI).
- Chung, W., Lai,
G., Bonillas, A., Xi, W. and Chen, H. "Organizing domain-specific
information on the Web: An experiment on the Spanish business Web
directory," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies,
66 (2), 2008, pp. 51-66.
- Leroy, G., Xu, J.,
Chung, W., Eggers, S., and Chen, H. "An end user evaluation of
query formulation and results review tools in three meta-search
engines," International Journal of Medical Informatics,
76 (11-12), 2007, pp. 780-789.
- Chung, W.
"Studying information seeking on the non-English Web: An experiment on
a Spanish business Web portal," International Journal of
Human-Computer Studies, 64 (9), 2006, pp. 811-829 (among the
top 25 most downloaded papers of the journal during Jul-Sep 2006).
- Chung, W.,
Bonillas, A., Lai, G., Xi, W. and Chen, H. "Supporting Non-English Web
Searching: An Experiment on the Spanish Business and the Arabic
Medical Intelligence Portals," Decision Support Systems,
42(3), 2006, pp. 1697-1714.
- Chung, W., Chen,
H., Chang, W. and Chou, S. "Fighting cybercrime: A review and the
Taiwan experience," Decision Support Systems, 41(3),
2006, pp. 669-682 (among the top 25 most downloaded papers of
the journal during Jan-Mar 2006).
- Chung, W., Chen,
H. and Nunamaker, J. "A
visual framework for knowledge discovery on the Web: An empirical
study on business intelligence exploration," Journal of
Management Information Systems, 21(4), 2005, pp. 57-84 (among
top elite MIS journals).
- Chung, W., Chen,
H., Chaboya, L.G., O'Toole, C. and Atabakhsh, H. "Evaluating event
visualization: A usability study of COPLINK Spatio-Temporal
Visualizer," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies,
62(1), 2005, pp. 127-157.
- Chung, W. "An
Automatic Text Mining Framework for Knowledge Discovery on the Web,"
Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Arizona, 2004.
- Chung, W., Zhang,
Y., Huang, Z., Wang, G., Ong, T.-H. and Chen, H. "Internet searching
and browsing in a multilingual world: An experiment on the Chinese
Business Intelligence Portal (CBizPort)," Journal of the
American Society for Information Science and Technology,
55(9), 2004, pp. 818-831.
- Chen, H., Chung, W.,
Xu, J., Wang, G., Chau, M. and Qin, Y. "Crime data mining: A general
framework and some examples," IEEE Computer (37:4),
April 2004, pp. 50-56.
- Marshall, B., McDonald,
D., Chen, H. and Chung, W. "EBizPort: Collecting and analyzing
business intelligence information," Journal of the American
Society for Information Science and Technology, 55(10), 2004,
- Lai, V.S. and Chung,
W. "Managing international data communications: A Delphi study of
issues," Communications of the ACM (45:3), March 2002,
Selected Quotes from
- "Professor Chung is
probably one of the most well informed
professors when it comes to information about
- "Professor Chung was
an extremely dedicated professor and ... had a genuine
desire to instill knowledge upon his pupils ... always tried to
motivate students through various mediums."
- "Dr. Chung is
very enthusiastic about the subject matter in the
- "Prof. Chung is
the best professor here."
- "Out of ALL my College
of Business courses, this was the FIRST course that really challenged
- "Dr. Chung is
highly organized, know his subject inside and out, and
is very likeable."
- "Overall, I really
enjoyed the Professor's teachings and I think that he is
an Asset to the school and department."
- MIS 300 - Information Systems Theory
and Practice (UG)
- MIS 630 - Data Analytics (Grad) (Student comment)
- MIS 440 - Business Intelligence (UG) (Student comment)
- MIS 320 - Database Management Systems (UG)
- BADM 214 - Microcomputer Applications in Business (UG)
- OMIS 34 - Management
Information Systems (UG)
- OMIS 105 - Database
Management Systems (UG)
- MSIS 603 / OMIS 366 -
Database Management Systems (Grad)
- MSIS 621 / OMIS 386 -
Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing (Grad)
- OMIS 113 - Data
Warehousing and Data Mining (UG)
- Business Intelligence
and Security Informatics (Grad)
- Intro. to Computers and
Computer Application Software (UG)
Programming Environment (UG)
- Database Management (UG)
- MIS Theory and Practice
- Expert Systems and
Decision Support Systems (Grad / UG)
- Knowledge management and
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Outstanding Researcher Award, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, April 2014.
- Nominated for Teacher of the Year Award, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, April 2014.
- Outstanding Contribution and Commitment to the Advancement of Research and Sponsored Programs, awarded by UNC FSU Chancellor Dr. James Anderson (picture), April 2013.
- Included in The 68th Marquis Who's Who in America, 2014, 2013.
- Ranked among Top 20 Researchers in Business Intelligence and Analytics, according to an MIS Quarterly article titled "Business Intelligence and Analytics: From Big Data to Big Impact," Dec. 2012.
- NSF Grant Award, NSF DUE-1141209, ($199,244 in total shared among 4 institutions; $22,500 awarded to FSU), 2012.
- Research Fellow Award, ($5,000), Fayetteville State University, 2012.
- Included in The 67th Marquis Who's Who in America, 2013.
- CDHS Scholar, Center for Defense and Homeland Security, Fayetteville State University.
- Included in the
Marquis Who's Who in America 2011 (65 th Edition), 2010.
- Received the
Outstanding Performance Award, by the UTEP Vice President for
- Received the Best
Research Paper Award in CIS, by the Dean of UTEP College of
Business Administration, 2006.
- Biography included in
The 60th Marquis Who's Who in America, 2006 and The 7th Marquis
Who's Who in America Education, 2006.
- Classified as an
"Outstanding Professor / Researcher" by the Department of Homeland
Security, The United States Government, 2005.
- Nominated by the Provost
of the University of Texas at El Paso for the Microsoft New Faculty
Fellowship Award, 2004.
- Young Investigators
Initiative Award offered by the US Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency's (DARPA) Information Processing Technology Office
- Research and teaching
fellowship, Department of MIS, The University of Arizona, 2000 -
- Scholarship Award,
M.Sc. Program in Information and Technology Management, The Chinese
University of Hong Kong, 1999.
- Certificate of
Registration as a teacher, issued by the Education Department,
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government, 1998.
- Summer Research Grant, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, April 2014.
- PI, "Analyzing Twitter Discussion to Discover Sentiment on U.S. Immigration Reform," funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, May-Jul. 2013, US$13,500, in collaboration with the BORDERS Center at the University of Arizona. (news)
- Co-PI, "Computing In Context," DUE-1141209, funded by the National Science Foundation, Aug. 2012, US$199,244 (FSU sub-award: $22,500).
- PI, "Research Experiences for Undergraduates (amendment to the NSF LIKES Project)," funded by the National Science Foundation, Jun. 2009, US$16,000.
- Presidential Research
Grant, Santa Clara University, Mar. 2009.
- Presidential Research
Grant, Santa Clara University, Mar. 2008.
- Co-PI, "Living
in the KnowlEdge Society (LIKES) Community Building Project"
(CCF-0752865), funded by the National Science Foundation under
the CPATH initiative, a joint project among four institutions -
Virginia Tech, Villanova, NCA&T, and SCU, 8/2007-7/2010, US$498,957.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Information Privacy and Security.
- Associate Editor, Decision Analytics, Big Data, and Visualization Track, International Conference on Information Systems 2014.
- Mini-Track Chair, Intelligence and Security Informatics for BI and Analytics, BI, Analytics, and KM Track, Americas Conference on Information Systems 2014.
- Associate Editor, Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence Track, International Conference on Information Systems 2013.
- Chair, NSF 1st and 2nd Workshops on Computing in Context - ISI Discipline, 2013-14.
- Member, Data Analytics Task Force, Stetson University, 2013-14.
- Member, Undergraduate Research Committee, Stetson University, 2013-14.
- Member, Computer Science Faculty Recruiting Committee, Stetson University, 2013-14.
- Member, Marketing Analytics Faculty Recruiting Committee, Stetson University, 2013.
- Member, Statistics Curriculum Committee, Stetson University, 2013-14.
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, School of Business and Economics, FSU, 2011-now.
- Member, Data Analytics Task Force, Stetson University, 2013-14.
- Member, HCM Faculty
Recruiting Committee, Department of Management, SBE, FSU, 2011-12.
- Member, MIS Faculty
Recruiting Committee, The SCU OMIS Department, 2008-09.
- Program committee
member, IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security
- Reviewed more than 100
articles for 10+ academic journals and over 20 international
conferences, such as Management Information Systems Quarterly,
Journal of Management Information Systems, ACM Transactions on
Information Systems, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and
Cybernetics - Part A, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, ACM
Transactions on Computing Education (formerly JERIC), Decision Support
Systems, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Journal of the
American Society for Information Science and Technology, International
Conference on Information Systems, Hawaii International Conference on
- Reviewed textbooks and
course materials for Pearson Prentice Hall and Addison Wesley (higher
- Undergraduate CIS
curriculum coordinator, The UTEP IDS department, 2005-2006.
Created by: Wingyan Chung
Wingyan Chung | Stetson University | School of Business Administration | 421 N. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, Florida 32723, USA | 386-822-7002